Tuesday 10 March 2015

Landmark’s Marathon Man supports MapAction

We’re extremely proud of our Business Development Manager, Colin Blears, who is joining the MapAction London Marathon team in April.  Here is Colin’s inspirational Journey so far...



...I received an email from Jacki Norbury at 12:22 on 15th December 2014 and by 14:41 I had responded with..

“If we don't set goals we will never achieve anything.  A marathon has been on my list for many years so I guess I have no excuses now.” 


At this point I thought there was nothing else required other than sitting back and enjoying my Christmas leave.

Returning in the New Year all refreshed I opened my email from Jacki confirming I had been accepted in the 2015 Virgin London Marathon.  At this point I was in a state of shock with only 16 weeks until race day and I had not even started my training.  I started internet searches for training programmes and decided I can’t be a beginner so selected the Intermediate 17 Week Training Plan and what harm would it do to start on week 2.

Week 2
So I dusted off my gym membership, found my running shoes at the back of a cupboard and dragged myself down to the gym.  In this first week I did a combination of swimming, running and at the weekend some cycling to build up a general all round fitness. During my first long run I hit an issue that I was not even aware existed called hyponatremia (Over-Hydration).  This is not a fun experience and you can read more about it here: The Truth Behind Dehydration and Performance 

Week 3
I had heard a few people mention how they found the Strava app really useful for running and cycling so I downloaded the APP and decided to do my first road run.  I was quite impressed that in within 1 week I was able to run 12.1 miles in 1:51:34 with a pace of 9:15/miles.  The following day however I could barely walk.

Week 4
After further internet research I found that it is really important to have the correctly fitting shoes to avoid injury and socks to ensure you don’t get blisters.  I was recommended to look at Footbalance which can be fitted by any sweatshop store.  Since having these new insoles I have found that the hip and knee joint pain has eased and I am finding I get less blisters.

Jacki started to raise the awareness of our support by announcing Landmark joins MapAction Marathon Team to help save lives and minimise suffering in humanitarian crises.

Probably not the best plan knowing how my last snowboard holiday ended in crutches with a broken ankle I still decided to go to St.Anton with some friends.  After snowboarding from 10am to 4pm each day I sacrificed the Apre ski for time on the running machine.  One day I felt it was a shame to be indoors so I took the bus to a local (summer) alpine run route and decided to run 11.6 miles in the snow. I seem to remember that when Rocky was preparing for a fight he would train in extreme conditions so if it’s in a Hollywood movie it must be true.


Overall I covered 2,889ft in elevation over a period of 2hrs37mins with a slower pace time of 13:33/mile. 





Week 5
Back in the UK feeling exhausted after my holiday, Chloe Browitt from MapAction contacted me to confirm I had been accepted to attend a training day on 1st February at Twickenham Rugby Stadium.  The day consisted of group sessions:-
     
 Training, training plans and injury prevention from Barney Kenny (England Rugby Head Physiotherapist
  1.       Nutrition & Hydration from Matt Lovell (England Rugby Team nutritionist) 
  2.      Fundraising tips
  3.      Fitness session around the stadium with the British Army Fitness Instructors                           
The day was then rounded off with a visit from the charities patron Prince Harry.  This was very unexpected but inspiring to see that he takes such an active role in supporting charities and is not just a name in the background.





Week 6 – Week 7
After a few intensive weeks of training it was important to let my body come to terms with the changes I had been making, no achohol since 1st January, cutting out the junk or what some would say comfort food.  During these weeks I cut the running down, organised to get some sports massages booked in for the tough training schedule ahead and reviewed what new gadget I could buy.


After a several discussions with Ian Clarke our CTO and many hours of internet research on the Jawbone and Fitbit products, I decided the new wearable technology for me was the Fitbit Charge HR.  The great thing about this device is being able to monitor your heart-rate whilst training and also monitor your sleep patterns to ensure you are getting enough recovery time as part of your training schedule. 

Week 8
I had spent several weeks focusing on training but had not really investigated my diet so after ordering my DNAFIT report before Christmas I thought it would be a good time to reflect on it.  Jacki arranged for me to get a DNAFit report review with Craig Pickering ex-professional athlete and now a Professional Sport & Sport Science Consultant.  The good news is I am suited to endurance training and events.

At first I was very sceptical about this service when but still felt it was worth the money to understand more about myself.  I have been following the recommendations in the report about the type of exercise suited to your genetic make-up, the diet and vitamins you need and I have seen a significant change in the energy and focus within day to day activities.  I would recommend you explore getting a report done for yourself www.dnafit.com




Week 9 - 10
Over these weeks I was doing a combination of interval training to build speed and also trying to test my hydration strategy using High 5 Sports Nutrition products.  It was key during this period to avoid injury and get my body used to drinking and eating whilst running, this is a very uncomfortable feeling and takes some skill to avoid choking. 

Week 11
This week was focusing on the final preparation for my first ever half marathon which I completed in 1:51.33, you can see my race progress in the Surrey Half Marathon on Strava 

Congratulations!! to my team MapAction teammates on getting their personal best times.




Race day results



I was really pleased with my first event but it really hit home that this is only half the distance and the training is going to get tougher over the next 5 weeks.  The support from friends, family and work colleagues has been amazing and I am looking forward to the main event on 26th April 2015.  Click on the logo below for spectator information.

Over the last 11 weeks I have managed to get my 13.1 miles distance completed in the same time it took to do 12.1 miles which is an 8 minute reduction in my time and I have lost over a stone in weight going from 12st 6lbs to 11st 4lbs.  It is really amazing what you are able to achieve with focus and support good people around you.  

Thank you for taking the time to read my story and I look forward to providing part 2.  It would be great if you could spare a few minutes to read about MapAction and support them by making a donation here: 
 http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=ColinBlears

Colin Blears
Business Development Manager 



No comments:

Post a Comment