Thursday 4 September 2014

What my Apprenticeship at Landmark means to me

What my Apprenticeship at Landmark means to me

I have spent the last year as an Apprentice here at Landmark Information Group and I have learnt so much. I had just finished my second year at 6th Form before I started my Apprenticeship and it has been a wonderful experience so far; everybody has been really welcoming and helpful – qualities of a true ‘Landmarker’ I would say.

I feel already that it has been a life changing experience: evolving from a school boy to a young man, and it has not just been within the working hours that I have had many memorable experiences with Landmark. On my first day I was pretty nervous and didn’t know anyone or even what my day-to-day tasks would consist of.  After meeting the team I felt much more comfortable and within a month of working at Landmark I was invited to their sales meeting.
 
 

My challenges may not have been the obvious ones people may naturally think of - but by gosh do you realise them within your first day:
  • Make sure you have ironed all of your clothing the night before
  • Pack your lunch
  • Leave early for the train that is always going to be late
  • Getting to work on my first day, concentrating so much it feels like a long hard day - only to realise it is only 3 o’clock

These challenges have now been overcome and are part of my automatic daily routine but at the start they were genuine challenges as this was something I had never been exposed to.

I have been very fortunate to have the expert assistance and training along my apprentice route. Julie Chell, my Assessor at QA Apprenticeships, has helped me out massively ensuring I completed my apprenticeship on time and to high standards. In regards to sales training I don’t think there is any better out there in the wide world than Stuart Allen - easily the best sales trainer I have ever had the luxury of meeting and in learning how to be a sales executive. Within my first 4 months I had already completed a bespoke order and managed to hit my quarterly target. With this is mind I feel I am doing well.

So far I have taken part in the Landmarker corporate video, , myself and fellow apprentice Farouq have  represented the company at external conferences as well as accompanied Regional Account Managers at client visits. I have made many new friends within the company and I regularly play football with colleagues at the local sports facilities.

I do look forward to going to work as it is a very relaxing and vibrant environment and everyone within the company is easily approachable. I am looking forward to my future at Landmark as it’s a unique place to work – I never knew mapping could be so much fun!

My proudest achievements to date?  Simple - having the chance to earn while I learn but more importantly being offered a full time contract by Landmark before my Apprenticeship Scheme is even up. The future looks bright here at Landmark and I aim to keep it that way.

Jay Cardona-Martin
Account Executive, Landmark Information Group


No comments:

Post a Comment