Thursday 3 April 2014

Why I chose an apprenticeship with QA and Landmark

My journey started in the summer of 2013; I had just made what I felt to be one of the most important decisions of my life. I left university! It took a lot of time and thought before making my final decision. Bearing in mind I hadn’t got around to breaking the news to my parents, possibly one of the scariest things ever. I consulted with my elder brother and we came up with a plan of action. I have always had a clear vision of where I could see myself in the future; however the difficult part was choosing the best route to take.

I’ve always looked up to my brother and seen him as my first point call for information and advice, so we sought out to look at my various options. Full time work? Take a gap year? Both valid options but not necessarily the right for me. I was brought up to understand the value of education and its importance at any level, and I felt if I was learning whilst being given the opportunity to put in practice then I would benefit the most.  One of my main strengths is my ability to communicate and interact with different people especially as my previous role was working in Vodafone as a Sales Advisor. With my older brother working as a Business Development Manager, he works closely with sales professionals and says he can see similar attributes and urged me to pursue a career in sales.
That’s when I started to put some research into apprenticeships. Initially I wasn’t too keen on the idea, but after carefully weighing up the umpteen amount of pros vs cons it was a no brainer: no tuition fees, the support of a learning agency to search for a company on my behalf, the chance to earn whilst I learn, a qualification at the end and a vast array of different disciplines to choose from. I approached QA Apprenticeships with a positive attitude yearning to start my career in sales. They interviewed me and I passed the initial screening process, the next step was to find me an organisation to work in.

The first role that came up was in fact for Landmark Information Group and I attended the group interview welcomed by Greg Bryce, Commercial Director, Nicola Rogers and Rob Phillipson, Heads of Sales and representing the HR team Lynne Parker and Cristabel Noseda. We did a number of group activities throughout the day and was invited back for a formal one-to-one interview two weeks later. I managed to sell myself enough to be successful for the role as Account Executive.
My only qualm is I wish I was made aware sooner!

It’s safe to say I am thoroughly enjoying my first 6 months here at Landmark; welcomed with warm smiles every morning from the Customer Service team, challenged on daily basis to go above and beyond with the accounts that I manage and the constant requirement to remain up to date with industry activity. Zillah Goode, my line manager has also supported me greatly. Whether it be answering my constant barrage of question or coaching me on how to approach different clients.

I am incredibly proud to say that I work for Landmark Information Group, a company that is at the forefront of the property industry delivering intelligence and solutions that enable professionals to make informed decisions. . Nicola said something to me in my very first interview that has stuck with me ever since, because I feel exactly the same way: “When I first started, I didn’t think I would find maps SO interesting”.  . I believe having a genuine interest in your line of work with a clear vision of where it can take you is key in choosing your job, coupled with friendly staff and a good atmosphere you are destined for success; which has been pivotal in my first few months here at Landmark
Having so many role models within Landmark has also been a massive bonus. I have had the opportunity to sit and talk with different senior members of staff who I may not normally come into contact with. Discussing how they got into their roles and the kind of work they deal with. I even have a mentor – Mark Burnard, Senior Product Manager - who I regularly meet with to ask questions and to generally give me an insight into the other parts of the business.
I was also fortunate enough to attend Landmark’s flagship Risky Business conference at the Royal Institute of Civil Engineers back in November. I listened to key speakers discuss the current issues surrounding  environmental due diligence and witnessed the technology showcase where we debuted Envirocheck Analysis, Envirocheck Analysis Mobile and Augmented Reality. It was a real opportunity for me to network with both colleagues across the group as well as our customers.

Progression within my sales career is key and I feel joining Landmark has been a springboard start to my personal development and growth. I can certainly see myself staying with Landmark Information Group after my apprenticeship and I am excited to see what the future holds for me here. Watch out Account Managers…I’m coming for you!

Farouq Sulaiman
Account Executive

No comments:

Post a Comment