Thursday 7 August 2014

My Internship at Landmark

I’m coming to the end of my internship here at Landmark and I can honestly say it has been a memorable and incredible experience. I have just finished my second year of doing Economics at University and felt that completing an internship would steady me for the big wide world before I finish my degree in 2015 – what I was to find out is that it would play a huge part in shaping my character and giving me more direction for my future. After being asked by Julian Bedford, my neighbour and Development Team Leader, to join the team, I was completely motivated and ready to impress in my interview with Carole Ankers, Product Development Director, as I’d be working with her throughout my internship. I was welcomed into the company and buzzing to start.
From the first day, waiting in Reception, nervous yet excited, thinking if I should be wearing heels or flats as I had brought along both, I was immediately reassured and made to feel comfortable by the warm and welcoming team at the Reading Office. Eager and motivated, I sat down with my laptop and began to email analysts, executives, team leaders and managers across the entire company for inductions and introductions. By the end of the week I had met with people in the development team to the marketing, finance, sales, customer service, data and tech teams and had a much better understanding of each role within the company and how everything pieced together. I’m the type of person that needs a complete background in order to produce something of substance and relevance and as I’d be working with Carole, my main focus would be Promap and I was determined to emerge myself in everything Promap. Carole made sure that every task I completed in the Business Analyst role was beneficial for any future I was to have in a corporate environment. I was able to complete pieces of work that would make an impact on the company and that challenged and increased my skill set.
I’ve had the opportunity to learn so much about the company through the endless amount of help and support; from gaining a full understanding of how raw data is transformed into a finished product with Matt Wills - GIS Analyst, to getting my head around royalties and licensing for the pricing of Terrain 5 and 50 with Giles Martin - Technical Support Executive and experiencing the creative and fast-thinking world of Marketing with Jacki Norbury - Head of Marketing and Mya Nolan - Marketing Executive and probably bombarding all of them with way too many questions but really gaining such valuable feedback and advice.
I am most proud of completing the pricing reports for release of two new products in Promap. Being part of the build-up of the releases really gave me an insight into how I could adapt my skills that I was learning at University into the work environment. I felt completely in my element and now at the end, I feel like part of the family. I’ve really enjoyed myself and am hopeful for future prospects with Landmark.
Nekita Daudharia

No comments:

Post a Comment